American Candy Cupcakes – Nerds, Skittles and PixyStix
In the first part of a new recipe feature, we’re picking out some of our favourite bloggers and setting them the challenge of making something fun with their Taffy Mail box! This month, Ami from ami-rose.com has been busy in the kitchen creating these American Candy Cupcakes using the contents of our January Classic Box. For these cakes she’s used the Pixi Stix tubes to create a sherbet buttercream topped with Sweets and Sours Skittles and Guava and Mango Chile Nerds.
If you want a hand at making some delicious treats, sign up to Taffy Mail here!
Ingredients (Makes 12 Cupcakes)
1 tsp vanilla essence
150g self-raising flour
Sweets of your choice to decorate
450g icing sugar
Sherbet of your choice (around 50g)
Preparation 25 minutes | Baking 20 minutes
1. Line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 paper cases and preheat oven to 180c (160c fan, 350f).
2. With an electric whisk, mix the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.
3. Add the eggs and vanilla essence and mix again. Gradually fold in the flour.
4. Place the mixture into your prepared cake cakes (around two thirds full) and bake for 15-20 minutes. They will be risen, golden and bouncy to the touch when ready.
5. Leave to cool.
6. To make your buttercream, mix the butter for around 2-3 minutes until pale and creamy then gradually add the icing sugar and sherbet.
7. Place the buttercream into a piping bag with a large star nozzle and pipe on to the cakes.
8. Decorate with sweets of your choice.